The National Postgraduate Committee has been involved, along other organisations within the sector, in mapping the Charter for Researchers and the Recruitment of Researchers against current UK practice and to ensure we are following the charter.
The Charter can be downloaded here :
The working group has sought to highlight key issues of concern to the UK HE sector and how these might be addressed.
For students, issues affected by the charter include:
- Maternity leave.
- Pensions and social security
- Labour conditions that respect PhD students in the UK level with that of employees.
- While maintaining student status for PhDs, students should expect:
- Proper and exclusive representation system
- Level benefits with those of research fellows within the work environment.
- Training programmes that meet the diverse needs of researchers.
Previous discussion on PhD students as students can be found here: